Finally having the time to create my NEWBORN CHECKLIST! A couple more weeks and I will become a new mom again! Our third baby will be such a blessing since we’ve had a rough year with the pandemic closing all our travel plans. As a third-time mom, I think I am capable of advising other moms on what you ACTUALLY NEED for their newborn.
I classified my list to a couple of things..
Let’s start with the Nursery Newborn Checklist. These are the things you will need to prepare in your nursery before the baby comes. This time around our pregnancy, we didn’t have an extra room to make into a nursery but we have a huge (and empty) space in our bedroom for a bedside nursery. Most Filipinos co-sleep with their kids and I think this list will be beneficial whether you co-sleep or have a separate nursery for your baby.
- Crib- an absolute must if you want some alone time. I’ve had cribs for my 2 older kids before and they slept so well in them, though we would co-sleep on days when they were fussy, it was nice having a crib when I needed to take a shower or have the bed to myself.
- Crib Mattress- this goes along with your crib, you need a good and sturdy mattress for your baby.
- Fitted Crib sheets- take note of the word FITTED, you will need one that is garterized so you won’t have to worry when the baby learns to move and crawl around.
- Changing pad and cover- I used to have a separate changing table for my boys but this time we opted for a changing pad that goes on top of our baby’s dresser. Link for changing pad HERE.
- Baby Monitor- this is a must when you have a nursery. You will need to hear and see the baby at all times otherwise you won’t get any sleep wondering if your baby is ok. I use my baby monitor for absolutely everything, for when I have to go downstairs to watch my toddler, or when I need to use the bathroom.
- Storage bins- for a baby so small, they have so much they need! You will need storage bins for clothes, socks, blankets, towels, absolutely everything!
- Nursing Chair- this is a breastfeeding essential if you have a separate nursery, you will be nursing your newborn for 30-45 minutes at a time, and sometimes you will end up taking naps there too! So you need a comfortable chair for those late-night feedings.
- Hamper- a separate hamper is needed for your baby, so you don’t mix your clothes with theirs. I personally use a separate laundry detergent and wash my clothes separately so having their own hamper helps a lot.
- Baby Rocker- we absolutely love having a baby rocker around, this saved me from tantrums and late-night fussiness with my firstborn.
- Night Light- This is important if you are sharing a room with your newborn. I didn’t want to wake up my husband every 2 hours when we breastfeed.
NEXT, let’s talk about their clothing Newborn Essentials.
I would suggest buying only a handful of newborn sizes because they grow out of this so quickly. Both my boys only used their newborn clothes for 2 days and we had to use our 0-3 months clothes right away.
We bought almost everything from SM Department store or Mothercare.
Now let’s talk about the bathing needs:
All of these items can be found in your local department store.
Next, let’s talk about the Diapering Needs of a newborn.
For the diaper needs, make sure that you do not overstock in items. This is because most of the time, kids have different skin reactions to the products we have them use. I had a bad experience with my second born when he was a newborn. He was allergic to the diapers and baby wipes that we bought him which resulted in rashes for 2 weeks.
Last but definitely not the least, the Baby Gear.
A lot of these things are not entirely needed since we cannot leave during the lockdown but it’s always good to have when there are emergency travel.